Thursday, May 14, 2009

Walking on Glass

I am about half way through graduate school, and have–almost literally–been taking it a day at a time. I haven’t begun to seriously think about what I will do when I complete the program, which is never as far down the road as I sometimes think it is. But that’s not an accident; I am self-aware enough to know that I tend to be overwhelmed by too many details at once. I have to take large things and break them into smaller pieces, then I am better able to digest them.

Otherwise, I choke, literally and figuratively. And when that happens a paralysis–of sorts–sets in and my movements become very tentative; I am overwhelmed by caution.

This is why I am creating momentum–in this case, continuing with school–and letting it carry me forward. I honestly believe that most of us have great destinies ahead of us, but like anything else, it is not an easy path, smooth and without risk. Besides, the field of Journalism is currently undergoing a transition, and this is not a time to be out there searching for work. I mean, the field is hemorrhaging jobs like a character from a Sean Cunningham film. That being the case–and let’s be honest, I knew that well in advance–why did I major in Journalism in the first place?

One reason is that I like writing, and this was a way to make it ‘real.’ I don’t do a lot of writing at work (if truth be told, virtually none) and i had to move to make it real.

Invest something.

Take a risk because there are no guarantees that what I am doing will bear fruit, But then again, if I do nothing, I unequivocally know where I would be.

I am not very religious, but I do believe in Hell. Not the whole “red dude with a pitchfork” type of Hell, which to be honest is rather silly, though it did frighten me when I was a child. Instead the Hell I believe in is the one we make of our own lives right now.

I believe that we are all eternal, in the sense that we are creatures of energy made manifest, and energy never dies. Instead it changes form, alters frequency, and goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment