Saturday, May 16, 2009

Apple Knows All

I was running a few hours ago, and noticed something...in the past I have always had problems with the standard headphones that came with my iPod, and always assumed that this was a design flaw on the part of Apple.

Now keep in mind, this is a company known for their industrial design, so it’s pretty interesting that they would mess up something as integral to the music experience as the headphone.

Guess what? They didn’t.

I can’t speak for everyone that had problems with the comfort and wearability of Apple’s standard headphone (now the sound quality is another matter. it’s by no means bad but could be improved with perhaps greater bass response. As it stands the sound is relatively warm with decent high and low ends) but my problems were due to human error, as opposed to industrial design.

When I wore them in the past I would try to insert the earphone (the round section) into the opening of my ear canal, like below, in an attempt to seal my ear canal with the headphone and isolating me more from outside noises.


DSCF6595


Of course this did not work, since it was not designed to be used in this manner. During my run I tried it like this:


DSCF6596

Notice that the second method that the round section of the headphone is supported by my ear, and is actually very secure. And keep in mind, my routine includes sprinting as well as jumping, so if I say that this was secure I mean it and it would be perfect for anyone just walking about.

My only issues were that sometimes sweat would run into my ear canal, muting the sound from my left earphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment