Saturday, May 9, 2009

Tumblin'

I went for my usual run today, but there was a difference (other than quite possibly losing my favorite pair of sunglasses, that is). During one of my ‘leaps’ (I integrate a series of jumps in to my run for the purpose of building ‘explosive’ energy, as opposed to running just for endurance. Usually that consists of a series of six to seven fences) there were quite a few people on one of my sprint points, and I wanted to get around them, so I leapt over the nearest fence to my right.

Which, unfortunately I did not clear.

A variation of this had happened once before: I was running in Belgium, though a beautiful forest. I was approaching some posts, and before I knew what was happening I was on my arse. What had happened was that those posts that I mentioned earlier had wire strung between them. I was running in a park with lots of foliage, so I could not see them.

Luckily, I fell to the grass, which absorbed the impact of the fall, tumbled head over foot, then came to my feet and kept on running. Unfortunately a pair of headphones I was wearing got caught on the fence, breaking them. Luckily they were Ear Pollution headphones by iFrogz–which not only are not very durable, but they come with a somewhat substandard warranty. My advice is in reference to them is that if you need headphones, save up for some Shures, which are not only awesome headphones, but extremely durable–though what amazed me most about the moment was that, instead of caring about what the people around me might saw me challenging the laws of gravity, I kept moving. What interested me most was that I barely noticed the impact.

Though I was very fortunate to fall to the grass, I noticed that the impact was on my right arm almost entirely, so if I had fallen on a harder surface I like to think that the impact would have been not too bad.

Though it would have hurt.

A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment