Sunday, May 3, 2009

UFO

SkyDiver 3
I get the feeling that–in this country at any rate–people have forgotten about Gerry Anderson and how influencial his work has been in the world of science fiction (Sci-Fi). From Star Wars to Team America: World Police, his influence can be seen. A month or so ago I learned that he is moving out of Pinewood Studios (where I assume most of his films and television series have been produced), and working from home. I don’t quite know what to think of this development. I mean, perhaps it’s a good thing in that...you know, I can’t see how this is a good thing. I mean, how can it be a good thing that he’s auctioning off the props from some of his productions?

To me that sounds as if James Cameron were selling off some of the endoskeletons–that I am sure he has–from the Terminator films. Sure he could, but why would he have to if money weren’t an issue?

His last production, The New Captain Scarlet ran from 2003-2005, not too long ago but I haven’t even heard rumors of anything new.

Which is not the same as saying that nothing is happening.

Perhaps Jonathan Frakes had something to do with his current low profile. After all, his version of a Gerry Anderson property, The Thunderbirds, was so bad that Mr. Anderson would have nothing to do with it.

Which in hindsight was a very smart move.

The picture above is my version of SkyDiver from UFO, which I would like to imagine it would have looked like if the UFO feature film had come to fruition.






No comments:

Post a Comment