Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sometimes You Can't Go Home Again

“Things fall apart; the center cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity”

---William Butler Yeats


The quote above I recall principally from the book ‘Things Fall Apart’ by Chinua Achebe, which I encountered when I served in the Peace Corps, along with ‘The River Between’ by Ngugi Wa Thiong’o (forgive me for not including umlauts in ‘Ngugi.’ There are two, though I have not found out the keyboard commands to do so yet). I have tried to read The River Between again a few years ago, to perhaps capture the feeling that I got from the first reading, but it wasn’t there.

I think that I am about to start it again tomorrow, but this time I will read it on it’s own terms, let it create memories and associations anew, instead of imposing those upon it that exist in a space and time long past.

In other words, I am going to read it again, for the first time.

Because sometimes you can’t go home again, but that only means that you have to make where you are now, home.

No comments:

Post a Comment